Nelson Chen

Dec 15, 2018 - 2 minute read

Gooey and PyInstaller for easy to write, distribute, and use scripts!

What is: Easy to write Easy to distribute and portable Super Powerful Cross Platform Puts computer novices and professionals on the same level? I think it’s a combination of Gooey and PyInstaller. If you put those two together, you get all those above. It’s Python, so it’s easy to write. There are so many guides online and a wide assortment of libraries. Most importantly, you get libraries that have a strong eye towards ergonomics.

Nov 29, 2015 - 2 minute read

Switched to Hugo

Wow! I think it has been nearly two years since I last updated this blog. I have decided to change the blog a bit and port it over to hugo which is a static site generator written in Go. It is very fast compared to nanoc which I was using. I do not know if I quite agree that this is just as customizable as nanoc but it is clearly faster.

Jan 6, 2014 - 1 minute read

Running Windows XP using Libvirt inside Ubuntu inside VMWare Fusion

So I’m investigating running Windows XP inside libvirt in Ubuntu on my MacBook for continuous integration testing purposes with Jenkins. I tried for many hours to get it working but Windows would not boot up or it would get stuck on the NTLDR cannot be found issue. As it turns out, I did not enable “Enable hypervisor applications in this virtual machine”. I was under the assumption that I would not need to check that box as I wrongly assumed qemu would handle all the needed machine translation and that an error with bootup is not the fault of lacking the ability to use a CPU feature to emulate something or the disk emulation being borked.

Aug 3, 2013 - 1 minute read

BeamNG DRIVE on Mac OS X with CrossOver

UPDATE 2015-11-28: Hey BeamNG forum users. These instructions worked for me way back when I was using CrossOver. You might be able to get similar or better results with Wineskin Winery or some other Wine wrapper. And those are free too! I don’t run BeamNG on my local laptop anymore nowadays but I Game on Amazon EC2 and it works fairly well with BeamNG at a very minimal cost. Gotta make this quick.

Jul 24, 2013 - 1 minute read

Mount USB devices in Virtualbox-based Vagrant

If you want to mount USB in Virtualbox, you have to do this solution. At the time of this post, a typical Google search for this would go to a solution at advocated using the attachusb command in VboxManage in the Vagrantfile provider customization section. This will not work because the VM is off at the time of bootup. It looks like the original author of this gist did not repost his solution back to the thread.

Jun 22, 2013 - 3 minute read

My current vagrant setup

I firmly believe that Vagrant is the quickest way from nothing to a running and preconfigured development environment on any machine and especially Macs. For me, the ‘works on my machine’ problem is the biggest reason I run Vagrant. Day-to-day though, Vagrant is probably the easiest to use UI for Virtualbox. If my work actually had money to give me for the VMWare plugin, I believe it would be a better UI for VMWare Fusion as well.

May 26, 2013 - 4 minute read

A Windows "QuickStart"

I paid Swish $25 and $8 shipping for this two months ago. I think I had my share donated to the Khan Academy. It’s the “Windows Quickstart Kit for Mac Developers”. It includes: A full Windows 8 Pro license A Parallels Desktop license A USB Stick with an ISO on it with a real Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity. Genuine Windows! I’m not sure why Microsoft saw fit to spend two months packaging a “quickstart”.

May 22, 2013 - 1 minute read

Here's a compiled version of Keycastr.

I just compiled a version of keycastr and put it here since I could not find a precompiled version that’s relatively new. Keycastr is used for presentational demos. It’s free and the source is here in this github repo. You will need a modern version of Xcode to compile it. The version that is compiled is by creemama. I only blindingly updated the settings with Xcode recommendations. This “works for me” on OS X 10.

May 13, 2013 - 2 minute read

Boot Camp, Windows 7, and USB Installation Gotchas

A few days ago, I decided to pull the trigger and install Windows on my Retina MacBook Pro at a LAN Party. It’s a perfectly fine machine with a decent graphics card and CPU. I started Boot Camp Assistant and followed through with the instructions to install from the USB drive using the ISO of Windows 7 I had on my Desktop. If you follow Apple’s steps to the letter, your installation of Windows will never proceed.

May 7, 2013 - 1 minute read

Reddit Link: LEARN VERSION CONTROL if you are in UCSB CS!

Here’s a comment I wrote on /r/UCSantaBarbara a month ago. Learning Git is a very valuable tool for any aspiring or lazy programmer. At my current place of somewhat employment, the candidates for our internship offering job did not know how to use Git. I hope my post will have changed something.